January 31, 2014

Musky Meat

When I was tying trout flies I felt like it was a chore just to fill my box with nymphs, streamers, and dry flies. And tying size 24 midges and tricos is just mind numbing.  When I'm tying predator flies I'm having fun. There is an art to tying little stuff but people really get excited when you show them a box of flies that range from 8-16", has 1 to 3 hooks ranging from 3/0 to 8/0,  has every color in the rainbow in it, and has more flash than Mr. T's neck. Predator flies are just sexy.

I absolutely love tying this stuff.  The best reaction is when you get the question "What do you think you are going to catch on that?".  When they hear the answer they just look at me like I got a dick growing out of my head and tell me that I'm nuts.  Nobody believes me till I show them pics.  Here are a few of my ties.

Flies from a 3 day tying weekend at Jim's Sports Center

Big Triple 16 inches

Topwater

Singles

The really good ones get to ride shotgun

A couple of doubles

And of course the best view of a fly.  In the head of a fish.



No comments:

Post a Comment